“The purpose of the Interprovincial Board of Communication (IBOC) is to promote the image, ministry, heritage, doctrine, life, and mission of the Moravian Church; to provide information about its activities and opportunities; and to inspire and equip individuals within the Moravian Church and beyond to grow in their personal relationship with Jesus Christ and to serve as his disciples. The board shall provide resources in print, audio-visual, and electronic media to make this possible. It shall carry out its own goals and assignments and work in cooperation with the other arms of the denomination.”
- Promoting the Moravian Church – promote the image, ministry, heritage, doctrine, life and mission of the Moravian Church, Northern and Southern Provinces.
- Providing Information – Provide information about the Activities and opportunities of the Moravian Church
- Inspiring and Equipping Individuals – Inspire and equip individuals within the Moravian Church and beyond to grow in their personal relationship with Jesus Christ and serve as his disciples.
The IBOC represents the communication and publication ministry of the Moravian Church in North America. We support both the Southern and Northern Provinces.
Key responsibilities of the IBOC include:
- The Moravian Magazine, the official journal of the Moravian Church in North America. We publish 10 issues per year, chronicling and sharing the life, faith, people and happenings of the North American Church. Every Moravian household in North America receives the magazine.
- The North American editions of the Moravian Daily Texts, one of the oldest continuously published daily devotionals in the world. Each year, we compile, edit, design, produce and ship four editions of this daily devotional, along with the Directory & Statistics of the North American Church. Digital editions for the Amazon Kindle and other tablets are also available, and more than 14,000 people subscribe to the Daily Texts online and on Facebook.
- www.moravian.org, the Moravian Church in North America’s main web presence. Redesigned and relaunched in 2012, the site is a central promotional and informational resource for those interested in learning more about the Moravian Church. It is also designed to help connect congregations and current members to the wider denomination. In addition, we manage Facebook pages for the Moravian Daily Texts and The Moravian Magazine.
- Publications of the Moravian Church in North America. The IBOC offers more than 40 titles, along with worship and congregational resources, sacramental certificates, Moravian gift items and the Sunday bulletin service.
- Communication resources for the Church. We provide communication counsel and expertise, design options, workshops and other resources to congregations and church agencies in both provinces.
- Church member database/official Directory & Statistics maintenance. In partnership with the Moravian Ministries Foundation in America, the IBOC processes changes to the church member database for the two provinces. We also compile and publish the official Directory & Statistics of the Church in North America.
The IBOC consists of 10 members, all appointed by the Provincial Elders’ Conferences of the Northern and Southern Provinces. Representation consists of 5 members from the Northern Province and 5 members of the Southern Province. Members are a mix of both clergy and laypeople. The board meets two times a year, alternating the location of the meeting between the provinces. Each appointed member may serve two, four-year terms with leadership of the board alternating between Northern and Southern Provinces every 4 years.
INTERPROVINCIAL BOARD OF COMMUNICATION
PO Box 1245
Bethlehem, Pa., 18016-1245
610.867.0593 or 800.732.0591
A full listing of publications is available in brochure form and can be requested by writing to the address listed above or via email.
IBOC Staff, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Mike Riess, Executive Director/Editor of The Moravian Magazine
Susan Kiefner, Communications Assistant
Jill Bruckart, Customer Service/Business Assistant
- Virginia Tobiassen, Chair, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Jill Westbrook, Secretary, New Philadelphia, Ohio
- Terri Bischoff, Woodbury, Minnesota
- Peggy Carter, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Lance Fox, Coopersburg, Pennsylvania
- Paul Knouse, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Katrina Lehman, Hellertown, Pennsylvania
- Amy Linville, Rural Hall, North Carolina
- Dan Miller, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania