Brother Melvin R. Klokow died in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. on July 29, 2013, at the age of 91.
Born in Watertown, Wis., Mel later attended Moravian College and Seminary. Melvin and his wife, Helen, were life-long Moravians who joyfully served the Lord together. After their marriage at First Moravian Church (N.Y.) in 1949, they served Daggett Moravian Church in Michigan and welcomed the arrival of four children: Christine, Linda, David and Jonathan. In 1957, Mel accepted the call to start a new church, Grace Moravian, in Wayne (now Westland), Mich. After eight years there, Mel and Helen were called as missionaries to the Moravian Church in Bethel, Alaska. In 1968, the family moved to Gnadenhutten, Ohio where they served the John Heckewelder Moravian Church, and were involved in the historical outdoor production of “Trumpet in The Land.”
In 1974 Mel accepted the call to serve Coral Ridge Moravian Church, Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He faithfully served this congregation until retirement in 1987, and Helen was active in the music and educational ministries of the church. Mel was instrumental in supporting the early development of the Prince of Peace congregation in Miami, and as a leader of the Florida District of our Province. Helen preceded Mel in death September of 2008.
In addition to their four children, Mel and Helen were blessed with 9 grandchildren and 13 great grandchildren.
Memorial services were held in Florida and in California where family members currently live.
From the October 2013 Moravian Magazine