The Rev. John F Fry, 92, joined the heavenly church triumphant Wednesday, June 13, at Forest Heights Senior Living, Winston-Salem, N.C. He was born in Davie County, N.C., October 28, 1925, a son of George and Laura Wood Fry. He attended Clemmons School, and served in World War II with the U.S. Army 3rd Division in the infantry, artillery, special services and intelligence units. In 1947, he married Edith West Fry, and enjoyed 65 years of marriage until her death in 2012.
John worked for 19 years in the blacksmith shop of R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., and was an active lay person and supply preacher. After a prescribed course of study, he was ordained a deacon February 27, 1966, at Macedonia Moravian Church by Bishop Kenneth G. Hamilton, and was consecrated a presbyter March 4, 1973, also by Bishop Hamilton. He served as lay pastor, then “student pastor,” and the first full-time pastor of the Fulp Moravian Church, Walnut Cove, retiring in 1991. He continued in pastoral ministry part-time at Mt. Bethel for 14 years beginning in 1994.
John served the wider church through involvement with the Board of Christian Education and Evangelism, the Moravian Clergy Association, and in junior camps at Laurel Ridge. He was preceded in death by a son, Eric, and his wife Edith; and is survived by a son, Rick; a daughter, Kathy; a daughter-in-law, Rebecca; four grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. A memorial service was held Sunday, June 17 at Fulp Moravian Church, with Pastor Chuck Harmon officiating. Burial followed in the church’s God’s Acre.