The IBOC makes visible the life of the Moravian Church and provides resources that equip individuals and congregations for ministry and spiritual growth. It provides materials in print, audio-visual and electronic media, along with organizational and individual consultation to make this possible. It carries out its own goals and works in cooperation with other ministries of the denomination.
The IBOC represents the communication and publication ministry of the Moravian Church in North America. We support both the Southern and Northern Provinces.
Key responsibilities of the IBOC include:
- The Moravian Magazine, the official journal of the Moravian Church in North America. We publish eight issues per year, chronicling and sharing the life, faith, people and happenings of the North American Church. Every Moravian household in North America receives the magazine.
- The North American editions of the Moravian Daily Texts, one of the oldest continuously published daily devotionals in the world. Each year, we compile, edit, design, produce and ship four editions of this daily devotional, along with the Directory & Statistics of the North American Church. Digital editions for Amazon Kindle and Apple iOS are also available, and more than 24,000 people subscribe to the Daily Texts via e-mail and on Facebook.
- Moravian.org, the Moravian Church in America’s main web presence. The site is a central promotional and informational resource for those interested in learning more about the Moravian Church. It is also designed to help connect congregations and current members to the wider denomination. In addition, we manage Facebook pages for the Moravian Daily Texts and The Moravian Magazine.
- Publications of the Moravian Church in America. The IBOC offers more than 40 titles, along with worship and congregational resources, sacramental certificates, Moravian gift items and the Sunday bulletin service.
- Communication resources for the Church. We provide communication counsel and expertise, design options, workshops and other resources to congregations and church agencies in both provinces.
- Church member database/official Directory & Statistics maintenance. In partnership with the Moravian Ministries Foundation in America, the IBOC processes changes to the church member database for the two provinces. We also compile and publish the official Directory & Statistics of the Church in North America and the yearly Desk Calendar & Plan Book with lectionary readings.
The IBOC consists of 10 members, all appointed by the Provincial Elders’ Conferences of the Northern and Southern Provinces. Representation consists of 5 members from the Northern Province and 5 members of the Southern Province. Members are a mix of both clergy and laypeople. The board meets two times a year, alternating the location of the meeting between the provinces. Each appointed member may serve two, four-year terms with leadership of the board alternating between Northern and Southern Provinces every 4 years.
IBOC Staff, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
- Mike Riess, Executive Director/Editor of The Moravian Magazine
- Sue Kiefner, Communications Assistant
- Jill Bruckart, Customer Service/Business Assistant
2018 Board Members:
- The Rev. Virginia Tobiassen, Chair, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Terri Bischoff, Woodbury, Minnesota
- Peggy Carter (Southern Province PEC) Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Margaret Couch, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Paul Knouse, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Kat Lehman, Hellertown, Pennsylvania
- Amy Linville, Edmonton, Alberta
- The Rev. Dan Miller, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
- Valerie Bean Wagner (Northern Province PEC), Waconia, Minn.
INTERPROVINCIAL BOARD OF COMMUNICATION
1021 Center St.
Bethlehem, Pa., 18018
610.867.0593 or 800.732.0591
General E-mail : pub[email protected]