Editors note: This page is being continually updated. Check back for updates and additional information. Updated 5/28/2020
Music and Liturgies
The Interprovincial Board of Communication, in cooperation with the Moravian Music Foundation, have assembled a growing library of liturgies and hymns for congregations to use in preparing online worship opportunities. These resources are free for Moravian congregations to use; we’ve endeavored to provide materials without outside copyrights to ease licensing restrictions. To access these materials, visit our Selected Liturgies for Moravian Congregations and Hymns for Congregational Use. May 28 additions include the Moravian Book of Worship Liturgy for Trinity Sunday, along with new organ and choir recordings for selected liturgies from Singing From the Heart, A Shorter Moravian Hymnal and Liturgies.
Information on Regathering
The Southern Province Board of Cooperative Ministries has assembled a page of resources and links for those looking for ideas and guidance on returning to in-person worship. Learn more on their “Preparing to Regather” page.
“When Can We Sing”
The Rev. Dr. Nola Reed Knouse offered this video on “When Can We Sing?” based on recent learnings about singing in church.
A message from David Guthrie
On May 20, the Rev. David Guthrie, president of the Southern Province Provincial Elders’ Conference, shared this message.
Moravian Camps 2020
As of May 22, camping ministries in the Southern Province (Laurel Ridge), Eastern District (Camp Hope), Western District (Mt. Morris) and Mid-States (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio) have cancelled on-site camping programs for the 2020 summer season. Plans for additional opportunities for campers this summer are being developed; more information is available here.
District Synod information
The Western District Synod, originally scheduled for April 23-26, has been postponed to November 19-22, 2020. The Canadian District Synod, originally scheduled for May 22-25 and the Eastern District Synod, originally scheduled for June 24-27, 2020 will both be rescheduled for later dates. Additional information will be shared soon.
Resources from the Board of Cooperative Ministries
The Southern Province Board of Cooperative Ministries is collecting and sharing myriad resources for Moravians. While some are Southern Province focused, many of their resources are of interest to Moravian across the U.S. and Canada. Visit Moravian BCM to learn more.
Worship and Devotional Opportunities
Moravian pastors and congregations are rising to the challenges brought on by COVID-19 with creative worship, devotional and contact opportunities. In the coming weeks, we invite you to consider other ways to worship and stay connected with your congregation.
- Many congregations are experimenting with live-streaming worship services on Sunday, March 22 and beyond. For a list of some of the churches planning online services, click here. In addition, check with your church office to see if they will be offering any alternative worship opportunities. And if your church is offering an online service, please share with us so we can promote it, too.
- Moravian Church Without Walls is also hosting online services that will be shared via Zoom each Sunday at 11:00 a.m. EDT. You can join this service here.
- Visit your church’s Facebook page or other social media venues. Many pastors are using social media to extend their ministry.
- The Board of Cooperative Ministries has developed a wide variety of resources with ideas for churches. Learn more here.
- Read and reflect on the Weekly Moravian Message that appears on Moravian Church Sunday bulletins, which are also available online each Sunday.
- Visit Daily Prayers for Moravians, a weekly prayer liturgy written by Bishop Chris Giesler.
- Use the Moravian Daily Texts, Moravian Book of Worship and your Bible in your home to create your own personal or family worship.
During this time, please remember that your congregation continues to need your financial support. Even though you may not physically be worshiping on Sunday, know that your pastor and staff are working hard to keep your church community strong. Check if your congregation has an electronic giving option, or consider mailing your contributions directly to your church office. In addition, the Moravian Ministries Foundation in America offers their Giving Portal, which provides a way for anyone to give to congregations in the U.S. or support other church ministries.
At this time, the Northern Province Moravian Church Center in Bethlehem, Pa., is closed, but provincial, district, Board of World Mission and Interprovincial Board of Communication employees are working from home, are available via e-mail. and remain committed to serving you and helping you in these challenging times. Southern Province offices (PEC, Finance Office, Provincial Support Services Board and the HR Office) in Winston-Salem are also on a work from home plan and are available through e-mail and voicemail.
While the Interprovincial Board of Communication office is closed, staff is still working from home. We are also endeavoring to continue shipping resources and products ordered through our online store, but orders may be delayed. The Southern Province Board of Cooperative Ministries have also closed their offices and resource center, but will be continuing to operate online.
And finally, if you have additional suggestions, please share them with us at [email protected].