Added hymns 326, 334, 335 342, 348, 354; Music for “A Liturgy for Lent” in “Additional Liturgies”; and information on Readings for Holy Week resources available to Moravian congregations
These resources are for use by Moravian congregations in developing and sharing worship services during Lent. An interprovincial team is collecting additional materials which will be posted throughout the next few weeks.
From the 1995 Moravian Book of Worship
- Liturgy for Lent (1) (PDF) (Word)
- Music for Lent 1 Liturgy, recorded at Home Moravian Church (.ZIP archive)
- Liturgy for Lent (2) (Word) Note: Due to copyright restrictions, this Word file does not include the text to copyrighted hymns. Those with appropriate CCLI or OneLicense licenses can e-mail [email protected] and we will send you the appropriate files. Music for this liturgy is also available by request from Sue.
- Congregational Prayers For Moravian Worship: 9. Lent (from Singing from the Heart: A Shorter Moravian Hymnal and Liturgies) (PDF) (Word)
- A Liturgy for Lent 1 (Word) by the Rt. Rev. Kay Ward
- A Liturgy for Lent 2 (Word) by the Rev. Rick Beck
- Reflections on Psalm 51 (Word) by the Rev. Rick Beck
The Moravian Music Foundation is currently recording public domain Lenten hymns for use by congregations. These recordings will feature organ and vocalists for use in virtual and in-person services. For a more complete list of available hymns, click here.
|Hymn #||Hymn Title||MP3||DOC|
|326||How Good Lord to be Here||MP3|
|328||What Wondrous Love Is This||MP3||DOC|
|334||Christ, the Life of All the Living||MP3||DOC|
|335||When Jesus Wept||MP3||DOC|
|340||For Our Transgressions You Were Wounded||MP3||DOC|
|342||All Glory, Laud and Honor||MP3||DOC|
|345||O Sacred Head, Now Wounded||MP3||DOC|
|348||O Lord, Who Through This Holy Week||MP3||DOC|
|350||When I Survey the Wondrous Cross||MP3||DOC|
|351||O Dearest Jesus, What Law||MP3||DOC|
|354||Were You There (arrangement © Brian Henkelmann; permission granted)||MP3||DOC|
|361||The Strife is O’er||MP3||DOC|
|372||Rejoice the Lord is King||MP3||DOC|
|383||Praise to the Father||MP3||DOC|
|490||Spirit of God, Who Dwells||MP3|
Performances ©2021, IBOC/MMF. Moravian Congregations have permission to use these recordings for in-person and streaming services.
Hymns in purple were recorded at Central Moravian Church, with Becky Lepore, organ and David Charrier, vocalist. Hymns in yellow were recorded at College Hill Moravian Church. Lyric videos for each of these are forthcoming.
Looking for just the right background for your online service slides? We’ve created a collection of slide background images ideal for PowerPoint or Keynote presentations used in online worship services for your use! Moravian congregations are free to use these backgrounds for their in-church or online services. They are designed to provide space for text in black or dark grey type. Access them here.
Moravian congregations may use these images for communicating and sharing opportunities during Lent. To use, select the photo you’re interested in, right click and select “Save Image As.” Photos by Mike Riess, IBOC and Andrew David Cox, BCM. Photos are free to use under Creative Commons license. Please credit “Moravian Church in America”
Readings for Holy Week
In 2020, a group of Moravians from across the Northern and Southern Provinces recorded special virtual Readings for Holy Week services. Those services can be viewed here.
For 2021, many congregations will be holding their own virtual Readings for Holy Week services. The IBOC has resources available by request to assist Moravian churches in the Northern and Southern Provinces with these services:
- Music – Moravian congregations who purchase a physical copy of the Readings for Holy Week Audio Edition from the IBOC will have permission to use the recordings of the public domain hymns contained within it for their 2021 online services. Note that six of the hymns within Readings for Holy Week require a OneLicense license to stream. Contact Mike Riess for MP3s of the Holy Week files.
- RFHW Lyric slides – We are now completing Powerpoint and Keynote slides that include the texts to the Readings for Holy Week hymns which can be used in in-worship and streaming services. These will be available by March 5.
- Special Distribution Edition of Readings for Holy Week – in 2020, we created a special distribution edition of the Readings for Holy Week, designed for limited distribution to those attending/tuning in to virtual Readings services. We have updated this for 2021 and can provide congregations with this PDF file for direct distribution to their members this year only. You might also consider finding ways to safely distribute your church’s physical copies of the Readings books for members to use at home.
Due to copyright restrictions, we cannot post these materials publicly. If you are interested in accessing and using any of these, please contact either Mike Riess mike(at)mcnp.org or Sue Kiefner sue(at)mcnp.org in the IBOC.
To purchase a copy of the Readings for Holy Week Audio Edition, visit store.moravian.org or contact Jill Bruckart at 610.867.7566, ext. 38 or at [email protected] Special discounts are also available on printed editions of Readings for Holy Week.
Liturgies for Palm Sunday and Easter
- Liturgy for Advent and Palm Sunday (PDF) (Word)
- Congregational Prayers for Moravians (Advent/Palm Sunday) (PDF)
- Liturgy for Easter Morning (PDF) (Word)
- Liturgy for Easter (PDF) (Word)
For music resources for Palm Sunday and Easter, click here.