The first annual Board of World Mission sponsored service camp at Mt. Morris Camp & Retreat Center gathered together 26 young people and adults from June 11-20, 2021. The group used a broad range of skills to accomplish a wide variety of projects that included:
- sanding, replacing boards and refinishing Arrowhead deck and ramp
- deep cleaning all seven cabins
- cut up and remove a downed tree from the new building site and former bridge site
- begin replacing rear exit doors on cabins
- general weeding around Sandhill and Arrowhead
- cleaning the space designated for the Snack Shack
- shampooing upholstered seats in Sandhill
- staining the new “castle-like” playset
- disassembling and planing boards to refinish picnic tables
- re-siding and roofing the wood holder near the fire pit
- organizing camp resources
It was a wonderful week of work and relaxation following each day’s efforts. The volunteers were graciously treated to the generous hospitality of the Mt. Morris staff: Dan, Joy, Rose and Kelly. They helped identify the projects, provide the necessary resources and keep the group well-nourished so that the volunteers could focus solely on the tasks.
The BWM is working with Mt. Morris to offer another opportunity next year to help prepare the camp grounds for the upcoming camping season. We also see these events as a great way to teach building and maintenance skills to youth and adults alike to prepare them for mission trip opportunities for years to come. Watch for the notice about the service dates for 2022!
Jill Kolodziej is director of mission service with the Board of World Mission. Reach her at [email protected].