The watchword for the week:
Let everyone be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger. James 1:19
Come, let us worship and bow down,
Let us give thanks to the One who hears our prayers and is quick to forgive.
We can take comfort in knowing that the Spirit of God is upon us today.
Give us, O God, the grace to bring you the sacrifice of a broken and contrite heart, which you will not despise.
O God, who may abide in your tent?
Who may dwell on your holy hill?
Those who walk blamelessly,
and do what is right,
who speak the truth from their heart,
and do not slander with their tongue,
and do no evil to their friends,
nor take up a reproach against their neighbors;
in whose eyes the wicked are despised,
but who honor those who fear God;
who stand by their oath
even to their hurt;
who do not lend money at interest,
and do not take a bribe against the innocent.
Those who do these things shall never be moved.
In truth and honesty, let us draw near to the throne of grace and confess our sins to God.
- Forgive us, Lord, when we have put our material possessions as gods in our lives.
- Forgive us, Lord, for making idols of our accomplishments and for placing others before you as primary in our lives.
- Forgive us, Lord, when the words spoken from our lips have not brought honor to you or your kingdom.
- Forgive us, Lord, when we have forgotten or refused to take our rest in you.
- Forgive us, Lord, when we fail to respect those who have passed the faith on to us.
- Forgive us, Lord, when we injure or damage the emotional lives of others.
- Forgive us, Lord, when we fail to keep promises made to even those closest to us.
- Forgive us, Lord, when we hoard our wealth at the expense of others.
- Forgive us, Lord, when we lie to conceal our own mistakes.
- Forgive us, Lord, when we spend time and energy wanting things that we don’t need.
- Forgive us, Lord, for speaking more than we listen.
- Forgive us, Lord, when we fail to do your will.
The Lord, your Redeemer, says: Now your guilt is gone and your sins are forgiven. Let us give praise to God.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
Take time to read today’s Daily Texts. God speaks to us through the inspiration of scripture, so approach the opportunity to read the texts as a privilege, eagerly anticipating what might be spoken to you today. How might today’s Word make a part of your life new again? If you do not have a copy of the Daily Texts, you will find today’s texts posted in the margin on your page’s right side (at the bottom of the page if you are on a mobile phone). When you have finished praying, continue as follows.
O Lord, hear us now as we, brothers and sisters in Christ, pray together.
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. Save us from the time of trial and deliver us from evil. For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours now and forever. Amen.
Lord, as we continue our journey in life,
Help us to put our trust in you.
As we come to doubt our abilities,
Help us to know that you make us complete.
As we fear for the health and welfare of those that we love,
Help us to know that you are with both them and us.
As we come to doubt that we are making a difference in your Church,
Help us know that this is your Church, and we simply have to be faithful to your call to us.
As we go into the world, may we seek to listen more intently, speak more carefully, and anger less often,
Help us know that your grace gives us new life both here and in the world yet to come.
Shout for joy all people of God, rejoice all the earth! The glory of the Lord will be revealed, and all people together will see it. For the mouth of the Lord has spoken.
Blessed be the name of the Lord in whom we live, labor, and love. Amen.