Making New Disciples
in a New World
Closing Session Series
Making New Disciples in a New World
Closing Session Series Saturday, March 13 at 9:00 AM- 3:30 PM Eastern Time
Ben will lead us in a day-long workshop designed to help church leaders take concrete steps to connect with and engage new people in making disciples of Jesus Christ. Gather a ministry team from your church and come strategize!
- Leading Change (9:00 AM- 10:15 AM Eastern Time): Congregations over time tend toward serving themselves and their internal agendas. For churches to reach new people there often needs to be a reorientation to the core mission and vision of ministry. Leading that reorientation can be difficult as values and practices compete. This session will cover the essentials required of leaders who are convinced they need to help their ministries more effectively reach new people.
- Starting and Keeping the Conversation Going (10:30 AM- 11:45 AM Eastern Time): Outward oriented congregations are attentive to effective communication principles. First, they are listening closely to their community so they know how to communicate in ways people hear. Second, they know the value of authenticity in getting and keeping attention. Third, they use strategies to keep people curious and returning. This session will highlight effective methods of missional communication.
- Community Engagement Strategies (12:30 PM- 1:15 PM Eastern Time): As faith groups tend to feel increasingly marginalized in the wider culture they may lose sense of their power and potential for impact. Those leaders who do make efforts to connect with their community often feel their efforts need to deliver results lest their flock lose interest. This session will highlight tested methods that are likely to translate to most contexts and be effective in impacting a community with the gospel.
- Making New Disciples Digitally (1:30 PM- 2:45 PM Eastern Time): The COVID-19 pandemic is having an awakening effect on many people as they take their work, social and faith experiences online. For many faith leaders, the first phase has been taking worship online. The second phase relates to engaging passive viewers into actual steps of discipleship. This session will highlight doable methods and strategies for online ministry that reaches and disciples new people.
- Open Question & Answers (2:45 PM- 3:30 PM Eastern Time)
Ben Ingebretson, Area Director of New Congregation Development for the Dakotas Annual Conference of the UMC
Ben Ingebretson currently serves as MCNP’s Director of Church Planting and Emerging Ministries in a part-time capacity. Ben has begun working with the Northern Province to help us reclaim our mission to proclaim the gospel to those who long to hear the good news and equip us to care for a broken world. Ben is ordained in the Reformed Church in America and serves with Susan Nienaber in the United Methodist Church as Director of Congregation Development in the Dakotas Minnesota Area Conference. He has a proven track record of planting new congregations, revitalizing existing ministries to think of new ways to reach their communities, and is committed to equipping leaders to thrive in the challenging work of church development. He is the author of Plant Like Jesus: The Church Planter’s Devotional. Ben lives in Grand Rapids, MI, and will serve with the Moravian Church ten hours per week. He will work closely with the Emerging Ministries Committee, resource Esperanza and Tricklebee, and help us find and equip new leaders to spread the good news. You may learn more about Ben through his website www.bingconsulting.org.
Click here to view the complete workshop schedule for Leadership Focus 2021.