The Moravian Church Northern Province Racial Justice Team presents an Advent Series toward Racial Justice and Healing
“A New Way of Being – Speaking Words of Promise”
Wednesdays December 1, 8, 15, and 22
7 pm ET, 6 pm CT, 5 pm MT
The format for all one-hour sessions will include a brief devotion and presentation, followed by extended time in small group discussion.
“Speaking Words of Grace and Conviction – Developing Race Awareness Response
Presentation – Ways to respond to racist comments
“Speaking Healing Words”
Presentation – Microaggressions & How to Apologize
Presentation – “One-on-Ones – What they are, why they are important to the work of racial justice, and how do you begin?”
“Listening and Speaking Together – Next Steps in Congregations”
Presentation – A panel discussion from the Western District Justice Team on next steps for congregations.
Resources for racial justice and healing, and for the series, may be found here.
We will follow these “best practices” for our conversations:
Rules for Respectful Conversations
- Use “I” language, speak from your own experience
- Do not speak for a group of people, i.e., “we” “everyone”
- Listen carefully and actively
- Ask clarifying questions, but do not attack a person’s point of view
- Allow yourself and others to pass on any question or discussion
- Be gracious and open to all comments
- Refrain from “educating” each other
- Be open to all perspectives, looking for the best in each other
- Be open-minded and ready to learn
- Confidentiality: we will not quote or summarize another person without their permission. We are encouraged to share what we personally learned from the collected ideas shared.
For a reading list and bibliography for this Advent series, click here.