The Moravian Church Northern Province Racial Justice Team presents an Advent Series toward Racial Justice and Healing
“A New Way of Being – Speaking Words of Promise”
Wednesdays December 1, 8, 15, and 22
7 pm ET, 6 pm CT, 5 pm MT
The format for all one-hour sessions will include a brief devotion and presentation, followed by extended time in small group discussion.
“Speaking Words of Grace and Conviction – Developing Race Awareness Response
Presentation – Ways to respond to racist comments
“Speaking Healing Words”
Presentation – Microaggressions & How to Apologize
Presentation – “One-on-Ones – What they are, why they are important to the work of racial justice, and how do you begin?”
“Listening and Speaking Together – Next Steps in Congregations”
Presentation – A panel discussion from the Western District Justice Team on next steps for congregations.
We will follow these “best practices” for our conversations:
Rules for Respectful Conversations
- Use “I” language, speak from your own experience
- Do not speak for a group of people, i.e., “we” “everyone”
- Listen carefully and actively
- Ask clarifying questions, but do not attack a person’s point of view
- Allow yourself and others to pass on any question or discussion
- Be gracious and open to all comments
- Refrain from “educating” each other
- Be open to all perspectives, looking for the best in each other
- Be open-minded and ready to learn
- Confidentiality: we will not quote or summarize another person without their permission. We are encouraged to share what we personally learned from the collected ideas shared.
For a reading list and bibliography for this Advent series, click here.
One-on-ones Google form link mentioned in video
Next Steps Google Form link mentioned in video