- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention: Provides information about suicide, support for survivors of suicide, prevention, research, and more.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI): National organization dedicated to reducing the stigma of mental illness for persons and their families affected by severe and persistent mental illness.
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH): Component of the National Institutes of Health charged with generating the knowledge needed to understand, treat and prevent mental illness.
- Mental Health America (MHA): National organization dedicated to the promotion and prevention of mental health, substance abuse conditions and the achievement of victory over mental illness through advocacy, education, research and services.
- Mental Health and Faith Community Partnership: The Mental Health and Faith Community Partnership is a collaboration between psychiatrists and clergy aimed at fostering a dialogue between two fields, reducing stigma, and accounting for medical and spiritual dimensions as people seek care.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA): The SAMHSA mission is to reduce the impact of substance abuse and mental illness on American communities.
State and Local Organizations
- Mental Health Association in Forsyth County, North Carolina: Organization that works to improve the quality of life for the citizens of Forsyth County, NC with mental illness through advocacy, education and support services.
- North Carolina Psychiatric Association: Medical organization with approximately 900 psychiatric physician members that promote the highest quality care for NC residents with mental illness, including substance use disorders.
- Insight Human Services-North Carolina: Coordinates statewide resources and provides services to reduce the negative impact of substance abuse and mental illness on NC’s individuals, families, and communities.
- Mental Health America Associations (By State): Location and contact information for Mental Health America Affiliates for Southern Province Moravian Churches outside of North Carolina.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Affiliates (By States): NAMI is a grassroots organization with national, state, and local affiliates. The organization has programs for both the families as well as the persons suffering with a mental illness. At the local level, it is volunteer-ran and is dependent on volunteers to run the various programs that are offered.